[tomoyo-dev-en 243] Re: About supporting policy namespace.

Back to archive index

Jamie Nguyen jamie****@tomoy*****
Thu Jun 2 17:55:14 JST 2011

Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> Sorry for bothering you, but due to above change, I now strongly feel we should
> use "***_domain"/"no_***_domain" rather than "***_namespace"/"no_***_namespace"
> so that what users need to know remains unchanged (i.e.
>
>  "***_domain"/"no_***_domain" are directives for controlling domain transition
>  upon program execution
>
> ).
>
> Some candidates that replace "transit_namespace"/"no_transit_namespace":
>
>  "transit_domain"/"no_transit_domain"
>  "transfer_domain"/"no_transfer_domain"
>  "reset_domain"/"no_reset_domain"
>  "change_domain"/"no_change_domain"
>  "start_domain"/"no_start_domain"
>  "restart_domain"/"no_restart_domain"

With the above, we would end up with exception policy that can look like this:

  initialize_domain /usr/bin/foo from any
  transit_domain /usr/bin/bar from any

The problem with ***_domain is that it doesn't really imply that the
domain is in another namespace. It isn't as self explanatory as
***_namespace is. The meanings of "initialize" and "transit" could
easily be interchanged (in other words, initialize_domain could easily
be renamed transit_domain).

Perhaps then I will revitalize my original push for
"initialize_namespace" (sorry Toshiharu!) for two reasons. Firstly,
this directive implies that the domain is in another namespace.
Secondly, it implies that the directive is similar in action to
"initialize_domain", which controls domain transition on program
execution.

Actually, I think it is less than ideal that we have a different
directive for exception policy, but are re-using
"auto_domain_transition" and "task manual_domain_transition". It makes
sense to re-use, so is there a way we can re-use initialize_domain?
Such as:

  initialize_domain <$namespace> /usr/bin/foo from any

(where omission of <$namespace> implies that it remains in the same namespace).

This has both of the advantages of "initialize_namespace": implies
that the domain is in another namespace, and implies that the
directive controls domain transition on program execution.

What do you think? I can't remember if we already considered this option.