[Mingw-users] Time for a MinGW-GDB Upgrade?

Back to archive index
Eli Zaretskii eliz****@gnu*****
Sun Jul 19 01:58:44 JST 2020

> From: Keith Marshall <keith****@users*****>
> Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2020 17:09:05 +0100
>
>    CXX    source-cache.o
>    ../../src/gdb-9.2/gdb/source-cache.c:37:10: fatal error:
>    srchilite/sourcehighlight.h: No such file or directory
>       37 | #include <srchilite/sourcehighlight.h>
>          |          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>    compilation terminated.
>    make[2]: *** [Makefile:1656: source-cache.o] Error 1
>
> Now, this should not have happened: there is a configuration test for
> availability of source-highlight, which should have conditionally marked
> this section of code for omission, (because the source-highlight API is
> not present in my MinGW tree).

You mean, gdb/config.h has HAVE_SOURCE_HIGHLIGHT defined in your
build, even though you don't have source-highlight installed?

> Yet another GDB configuration bug, which I will also report on
> gdb-patches ... I can even offer a one-line patch to correct it.

Please do.  (Does it mean everyone else are building with
source-highlight?)

> That said, I note that you, Eli, do build your GDB with source-highlight
> support.  How much of a sacrifice would it be, if I omit it?

Not much.  The source code shown by GDB commands such as "list",
"backtrace" etc. will not be highlighted, but that's all.  GDB only
supports this feature since 8.3, i.e. 2 releases ago.