[tomoyo-users-en 349] Re: Policy namespace for TOMOYO 1.8.2/2.4

Back to archive index
Tetsuo Handa from-****@I-lov*****
Fri Jun 10 06:58:05 JST 2011

Jamie Nguyen wrote:
> Actually, the above commands don't seem to work. The policy is loaded
> into kernel memory, but has no effect on the system.

TOMOYO prints "Mandatory Access Control activated." message and MAC is
activated when /sbin/init is executed.

/sbin/ccs-init is executed in order to load policy from /etc/ccs/ directory
when "execution of /sbin/init is requested and /sbin/ccs-init exists".

If you execute /bin/systemd rather than /sbin/init , /sbin/ccs-init will not be
executed and TOMOYO will not be activated.

> Reverting back from systemd solves the issue.

Please see ccs_load_policy() in security/ccsecurity/load_policy.c .
Until TOMOYO 1.8.1, there was CONFIG_CCSECURITY_ALTERNATIVE_TRIGGER kernel
config option that specifies which program is used as a trigger for (optionally
calling /sbin/ccs-init and) activating TOMOYO. I was considering replacing
CONFIG_CCSECURITY_ALTERNATIVE_TRIGGER with CONFIG_CCSECURITY_ACTIVATION_TRIGGER
in TOMOYO 1.8.2. But according to your usage, it seems to me that we want a
kernel command line option (like CCS_Loader= option) that allows you to specify
which program is used as a trigger for activating TOMOYO since it would be
difficult for distributors to determine the location of program that is used as
/sbin/init at compile time.