[tomoyo-dev-en 252] Re: About supporting policy namespace.

Back to archive index

Toshiharu Harada harad****@gmail*****
Sat Jun 4 20:58:12 JST 2011

(2011/06/04 19:23), Jamie Nguyen wrote:
> Toshiharu Harada wrote:
>> How I wish I can say "yes" to "restart_domain"...
>
> Hehe I had a funny feeling that we weren't finished with this discussion yet :-)

Yes, but we are almost there. :-)

>> But I can't this time. My inner soul tells me that "to restart
>> something, you need to start it first" and I cannot resist it.
>> (sorry, Jamie)
>>
>> If I have to choose from the above two, my vote is "reset_domain".
>> Resetting domain makes sense since domain is already there.
>> To accept "restart_domain", I would like to claim for
>> "start_domain".
>
> Maybe some example definitions could help:
>
> reset:
> 1) to reset a guage or dial or counter to zero
> 2) to reset a broken bone
>
> restart:
> 1) to restart an engine that is not currently running
> 2) to restart a computer which is still running (first stop and then start)
>
> start:
> 1) to start an engine that is not currently running
>
> I dislike "start_domain" because it implies that something has
> stopped, when in fact it is more of a transition. In fact, the same
> applies to "restart_domain".

I don't want to see "start_domain", either. ;-)

> I suppose you could say that we are "resetting" the domain to zero
> (similar to resetting a counter), where zero means it becomes the top
> level domain (just like nothing comes before zero), and where top
> level domains are given their own exception/domain/profile policy. In
> a sense, when we create a new namespace, we are also resetting
> exception/domain/profile policy to their original values as well
> (where original=almost empty). So "reset_domain" actually sounds quite
> reasonable to me.

Regardless of the directive name, the functionality has been
defined in http://tomoyo.sourceforge.jp/1.8/chapter-15.html.en

| The "TBD" directive causes programs to run in the namespace specified
| by this program. The syntax is same with initialize_domain directive.
| Below example causes all executions of /usr/sbin/sshd to be transit
| to "</usr/sbin/sshd>" domain:

"reset_domain" works fine with me, too.

Best regards,
Toshiharu