[tomoyo-dev-en 250] Re: About supporting policy namespace.

Back to archive index

Toshiharu Harada harad****@gmail*****
Sat Jun 4 16:38:13 JST 2011

(2011/06/04 10:21), Tetsuo Handa wrote:
> Jamie Nguyen wrote:
>> Yeh I'd be happy with "restart_domain".
>
> Maybe "reset_domain" describes better that it overwrites the entire
> domainname than "restart_domain" ?
>
>> I think I've changed my mind so often that I don't even know what I prefer
>> anymore! :-D
>
> No problem. Discussion is needed for choosing better one.
>
>> So let's settle on "restart_domain"? I think we've finally found a winner.
>
> OK. I'll include namespace support when proposing TOMOYO 2.4 next time.
>
> I want to use "restart_domain" or "reset_domain".
> Jamie will be happy with "restart_domain".
> Toshiharu and Oliver, what is your opinion?

After reviewing this long thread, I'm begging to to think
that the name "namespace" is a bit misleading.
I'm not going to resetting the past arguments, but
let me explain my points.

If every "namespace" is independent from each other and
domains are bound to its corresponding "namespace", then
there's no problem to call it "namespace".

If I understand correctly, "namespace" just allows
different views and controls. "namespace" can add
new layers on top of the base Linux system.
Defining a "namespace" is creating a new workspace
with independent controls (profile, exception and domain).

Again, I'm not going to deny the past discussions, but
let me remind the possibility that the naming of "namespace" owes
the complexity.

Best regards,
Toshiharu