[Svardos-users] 360K Images?

Back to archive index
Mateusz Viste mateu****@viste*****
Wed Nov 24 22:35:12 JST 2021

On 24/11/2021 08:37, Mateusz Viste wrote:
> In fact, the only reason that I do not build such images is that I do
> not have access to 360K hardware, and I did not want to publish
> something that I could not test. Now, if you'd be willing to perform
> some basic testing on your machines I will gladly add 360K support to
> the build script. Let me know!

Okay, did some preliminary investigations. There is one problem with
360K diskettes that I did not thought about initially: their size. :)

The first SvarDOS installation disk requires some basic tools and files
to set itself up. These files can be grouped in 3 categories:

SYSTEM (kernel, format, fdisk, sys..) = 250K
NLS (EGA*.CPX, MODE, DISPLAY)         = 150K
USER TOOLS (edit, mem, more)          = 100K

All this adds up to more than 360K. The only reasonable solution I see
is to trim out "NLS" from the 360K install set. This means that the
installer would be English-only (but it would still be possible to
install the target system in another language).

It's also worth noting that a SvarDOS install set on 360K diskettes
would take quite a lot of disks: a grand total of 9 floppies. (!)

Does it make sense? Is it worth it?

Mateusz