[Howm-eng 45] Re: Newbie...

Back to archive index

khi****@users***** khi****@users*****
Mon Apr 7 22:03:46 JST 2008

Hi.

At Sun, 6 Apr 2008 02:00:26 +0200,
Xavier Maillard wrote:
>    But too many notes and too long notes are impractical anyway.
>
> So what ? Are you telling me that howm is not suited for people
> wanting to take many notes ? How are you doing then ? If you are
> using howm since 2005. I am pretty sure you have ended up with
> gigas of note files, aren't you ?

My notes are 40MB, 360000 lines, 2700 files.  On my laptop (Pentium M
1.2GHz, 1GB memory), it takes 10 sec or more for the first search
after every hibernation.  Then the succeeding searches take 1 or 2 sec.

These will be necessary for heavy use.
  (setq howm-view-use-grep t)  ;; use external grep
  (setq howm-menu-refresh-after-save nil)
  (setq howm-menu-expiry-hours 6)  ;; cache menu N hours
  (setq howm-menu-file "0000-00-00-000000.howm")  ;; don't *search*

>    I like "one file for one day" rather than the default "one file for
>    one note", with an experimental feature for search-in-result.
>
> What's the advantage to have one file per day instead of the
> default setting ?

It makes grep slightly faster.  It also decreases my mental barrier
for casual note taking; I might feel MOTTAINAI for creating too many
files otherwise.

>    The latest beta version of howm-mode is always available at here.
>    http://howm.sourceforge.jp/a/howm-test.tar.gz
>
> Nice. In what does it differ with the current 1.3.5 version
> though ?

Major changes are internal.  There are also some minor bug fixes
and minor experimental features.