[Mingw-users] Support AX_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_11 macro in autoconf

Keith Marshall keith****@users*****
Sun Jan 19 06:12:38 JST 2020

On 18/01/2020 20:12, Anton Shepelev wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii to Anton Shepelev:
>
>>> May I please request that you supply a newer version of
>>> the `autoconf' tools, at least the one that supports the
>>> AX_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_11 macro:
>>>
>>>    https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf-archive/ax_cxx_compile_stdcxx_11.html
>>
>> I'd just download the corresponding .m4 file and install
>> it on your system, under /usr/share/aclocal.  No need for
>> anyone to provide any new version.
>
> If by "install" you meant copying the file to the said
> location, then it did't help:
>
> Ant at ant-519666801b8 ~/db-staging
> $ ls /usr/share/aclocal
> ax_cxx_compile_stdcxx_11.m4  bison-i18n.m4  pkg.m4  sdl2.m4
>
> Ant at ant-519666801b8 ~/db-staging
> $ ./configure --disable-sdltest 1>/dev/null

I don't see you running autoconf, to regenerate the configure script...

> ./configure: line 5712: syntax error near unexpected token `noext,'
> ./configure: line 5712: `AX_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_11(noext, mandatory)'

...and this suggests that the AX_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_11 macro wasn't
expanded, when configure was generated.

> Maybe my configure script uses some syntax introduced in a
> later version?

Did you regenerate the configure script _after_ you copied the m4 macro
definition to your aclocal directory?  The diagnostic suggests that you
didn't.

I don't see any mention of an autoconf version constraint, in the
documentation, to which you refer, for AX_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_11; what
makes you think that there may be one?

--
Regards,
Keith.