[Mingw-users] Deprecation of __USE_MINGW_ANSI_STDIO

Back to archive index
Eli Zaretskii eliz****@gnu*****
Thu Jan 10 05:00:15 JST 2019

> From: Keith Marshall <keith****@users*****>
> Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2019 19:47:05 +0000
>
> > Well, we do want MinGW Binutils to work on Windows 9X, don't we?
>
> Yes, but from a user's POV, it seems more logical to me to say "Hey,
> MinGW-GCC, give me the best level of support you can, all the way back
> to Win95", not "Hey, MinGW-GCC, I'd like you to enable this obscure
> feature which is among several which I think may possibly be needed on
> Win95".

That assumes defining _WIN32_WINDOWS indeed gives "the best level of
support".  But it could also remove some features, i.e. produce a
binary that works well on Windows 9X, but is somewhat crippled on
later systems.  Without studying all the uses, how could one know?
And even after studying, it might remain a mystery of sorts, since the
documentation is scarce and sometimes non-existent.

> > My problem with _WIN32_WINDOWS is that it appears in a dozen places in
> > our w32api headers, and just analyzing its impact is a serious job.
> > By contrast, __USE_MINGW_FSEEK is a much more focused knob.
>
> More focused, yes; *too* focused maybe ... as a user, I have to know in
> advance, that it enables a feature that I will almost certainly need, if
> I want my application to work correctly on Win95, and I also need to
> think about any other such features I may need.  OTOH, with
>
>   -D_WIN32_WINDOWS=_WIN32_WINDOWS_95
>
> I can cover all bases at once.

This again makes the same assumption I mentioned above.  Perhaps you
know about this more than I do, but from my POV using _WIN32_WINDOWS
is a bit scary.