[Mingw-users] ar having problems creating temporary file while building archive

Back to archive index
John Calcote john.****@gmail*****
Wed Jan 2 09:13:37 JST 2019

Hi all -

I'm trying to build a very simple test program that uses gnulib. There's
one source file that makes use of a gnulib module. Now, if you know
anything about gnulib, you'll understand that the process involves building
a static library (libgnu.a) that includes all of the gnulib code for all of
the modules you use in your program.

During the process of building libgnu.a, the source files are compiled into
objects, of course, and then the objects are all added to libgnu.a. I get
this error message at the stage where ar runs:

rm -f libgnu.a
ar cr libgnu.a base64.o
C:\MinGW\bin\ar.exe: could not create temporary file whilst writing
archive: no more archived files
make[4]: *** [libgnu.a] Error 1

If I run the two commands by hand, it works fine - and of course running
make after that causes the rest of the project to be build fine too because
the library is now there in the lib folder within the project.

I've tried dozens of things to no avail - if the lines are executed by
make, it fails, if I do it by hand, it works. Clearly this is related to
the MinGW /tmp directory mount point, which is my windows user account Temp
directory:

$ mount
C:\Users\JOHNCA~1\AppData\Local\Temp on /tmp type user (binmode,noumount)
C:\MinGW\msys\1.0 on /usr type user (binmode,noumount)
C:\MinGW\msys\1.0 on / type user (binmode,noumount)
C:\MinGW on /mingw type user (binmode)
c: on /c type user (binmode,noumount)
d: on /d type user (binmode,noumount)
z: on /z type user (binmode,noumount)

My username has a space in it, but the mount point is using the 8.3 version
of the name. I don't know - I'm at a loss.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
John